You are here
Brazil is moving towards free and compulsory secondary education. There are plans to have compulsory education last from pre-primary through secondary education by 2016. Prior to 2006, the "ensino fundamental" cycle began at age 7 and lasted eight years. In 2006, Brazil began a shift to a nine year cycle beginning at age 6. It was anticipated that this shift would be fully implemented by 2010.
UIS data treat the education system in Brazil as having had a 4-4-3 structure and an entry age of 7 through 2010.
Among other data sources, unique EPDC data collections for Brazil include administrative data from the Instituto Nacional de Estudos e Pesquisas Educacionais (2000, 2003 - 2006), household survey data from SITEAL (1991, 1992, 2001, 2002, 2006 - 2009), indicators derived from UIS data, and learning outcomes data including SERCE (2006).
For an overview of current education conditions in Brazil, please view our education profiles.
Last updated: 4/2014
- What Works in Expanding School Participation
- What Does History Teach Us in Achieving UPE and UPC for Education for All 2015?
- Wealth Still Matters: A Study of Wealth Differentials in Primary School Attendance from 1990-2006 in Developing Countries
- Thoughts on an Early Childhood Care and Education Index
- Global Educational Trends
- The Shrinking Urban-Rural School Attendance Gap 1990-2006
- School Attendance and Enrolment - Global trends and projections
- Working Paper: The Expansion of Secondary Education and the Need for Teachers: How big is the gap?
- Strengthening Accountability n Public Education
- Education Decentralization and School Grants
- Increasing Accountability in Decentralized Education in ParanÃ¡ State, Brazil
- Identifying the Impact of Education Decentralization on the Quality of Education
- Measuring Learning Outcomes in Developing Countries: A Primer
- School Report Cards: Some Recent Experiences
- Examining the Role of International Achievement Tests in Education Policy Reform
- EQUIP2 State-of-the-Art Knowledge in Education: School Report Cards
Search for data related to this Country by selecting the dimensions that you want to include in your results. The selection of the years will trigger a process to show you the number of results on your search according to the selected criteria. Switch to the Advanced Search if you want to include more dimensions in your search criteria.Switch to Advanced Search