You are here
El Salvador has a 9-2 formal education structure. Primary school has an official entry age of seven and a duration of nine grades. Secondary school consists of grades 10 - 11. Primary school is known as educacion basica and is made up of three cycles of 3 years each. General secondary school (educacion media) has a duration of two years, though some technical-vocational programs may last two or three. In principle, public school is free and primary (basic) school is compulsory. The academic year runs between February and October (UNESCO IBE, World Data on Education. 7th Edition, 2010-2011. Revised 7/2010).
As of 2010, UIS classifies the school structure in El Salvador as having a 6-3-3 structure. Because this is not in alignment with the nationally-defined school structure UIS indicators do not reflect the nature of the official education system. Care should be taken when interpreting UIS data for El Salvador.
Among other data sources, unique EPDC data collections for El Salvador include administrative data from the Ministry of Education (2003, 2004), household survey data from SITEAL (1997 - 2009), and indicators derived from UIS data.
For an overview of current education conditions in El Salvador, please view our education profiles.
Last updated: 10/2012
- Thoughts on an Early Childhood Care and Education Index
- Global Educational Trends
- School Attendance and Enrolment - Global trends and projections
- Working Paper: The Expansion of Secondary Education and the Need for Teachers: How big is the gap?
- EQUIP2 Lessons Learned Synthesis
- EQUIP2 Lessons Learned in Education: Policy Dialogue
- Education Decentralization and School Grants
- The Power of Persistence: Education System Reform and Aid Effectiveness
- Identifying the Impact of Education Decentralization on the Quality of Education
- EQUIP Associate Awards Project Analyses, 2003-2009
- School Report Cards: Some Recent Experiences
- Equidad de la Educación en Centroamérica: Un tema pendiente en la agenda pública
- Education Equity in Central America
- EQUIP Associate Awards Project Analyses, 2003-2005
- An Analysis of USAID Assistance to Basic Education in the Developing World, 1990-2005
Search for data related to this Country by selecting the dimensions that you want to include in your results. The selection of the years will trigger a process to show you the number of results on your search according to the selected criteria. Switch to the Advanced Search if you want to include more dimensions in your search criteria.Switch to Advanced Search