You are here
Guatemala has a 6-3-2 formal education structure. Primary school has an official entry age of seven and a duration of six grades. Secondary school (nivel medio) is divided into two cycles: lower secondary (ciclo basico) consists of grades 7 - 9, and upper secondary (ciclo diversicado) consists of grades 10 - 11. In principle, primary, lower secondary and one year of pre-primary school are free and compulsory. The school year is approximately 180 days in length (UNESCO IBE, World Data on Education. 7th Edition, 2010-2011. Revised 7/2010).
Among other data sources, unique EPDC data collections for Guatemala include administrative data from the Ministry of Education (2002 - 2008), household survey data from SITEAL (2001, 2006, 2010), LSMS (2000), and indicators derived from UIS data.
For an overview of current education conditions in Guatemala, please view our education profiles.
Last updated: 10/2012
- What Does History Teach Us in Achieving UPE and UPC for Education for All 2015?
- Wealth Still Matters: A Study of Wealth Differentials in Primary School Attendance from 1990-2006 in Developing Countries
- Thoughts on an Early Childhood Care and Education Index
- Global Educational Trends
- Looking Below the Surface: Reaching the Out of School Children
- School Attendance and Enrolment - Global trends and projections
- Active Schools: Our Convictions for Improving the Quality of Education
- Escuelas Activas: Apuestas para Mejorar la Calidad de la Educación
- Working Paper: The Expansion of Secondary Education and the Need for Teachers: How big is the gap?
- Using Opportunity to Learn and Early Grade Reading Fluency to Measure School Effectiveness in Ethiopia, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nepal
- School Effectiveness: Improving the Use of Financial Investments in Education
- Using Opportunity to Learn and Early Grade Reading Fluency to Measure School Effectiveness in Guatemala
- EQUIP2 State-of-the-Art Knowledge in Education: OTL
- Pour arriver à l’Education Pour Tous : Modèles efficaces d’éducation complémentaire pour les délaissés
- Meeting EFA: Reaching the Underserved through Complementary Models of Effective Schooling
- Compilation: Reaching the Underserved: Complementary Models of Effective Schooling
- Meeting EFA: Guatemala PRONADE
- EQUIP2 Lessons Learned Synthesis
- EQUIP2 Lessons Learned in Education: Policy Dialogue
- EQUIP Associate Awards Project Analyses, 2003-2009
- School Report Cards: Some Recent Experiences
- Equidad de la Educación en Centroamérica: Un tema pendiente en la agenda pública
- Education Equity in Central America
- EQUIP Associate Awards Project Analyses, 2003-2005
- An Analysis of USAID Assistance to Basic Education in the Developing World, 1990-2005
- EQUIP2 Final Report
- Opportunity to Learn: A high impact strategy for improving educational outcomes in developing countries
Search for data related to this Country by selecting the dimensions that you want to include in your results. The selection of the years will trigger a process to show you the number of results on your search according to the selected criteria. Switch to the Advanced Search if you want to include more dimensions in your search criteria.Switch to Advanced Search