You are here
In 1986, India introduced a national 10+2 educational system, with 10 years of combined primary and lower secondary levels and 2 years of upper secondary. The exact duration of primary and lower secondary cycles within the 10 year cumulative cycle varies by individual states and union territories. Most commonly (in 23 states and union territories), primary lasts for 8 years and lower secondary lasts for two years. In 12 states and union territories there are 7 years of primary and 3 years of lower secondary. (UNESCO IBE, World Data on Education. 7th Edition, 2010-2011. Revised 7/2011).
As of 2013, UIS classifies the school structure in India as having a 5-3-4 structure with an entry age of six. Because this is not in alignment with either of the school structures commonly used in India, UIS indicators for primary and lower secondary do not reflect the nature of the official education system. Care should be taken when interpreting UIS data for India.
Among other data sources, unique EPDC data collections for India include administrative data from the Department of School Education and Literacy (2003 - 2007), Ministry of Human Resource Development (2005 - 2008), household survey data from DHS (2006), Pratham (2005), SES (2004), IPUMS (1999, 2004), indicators derived from UIS data, and learning outcomes data including ASER (2005-2006, 2008-2012).
For an overview of current education conditions in India, please view our education profiles.
Last updated: 3/2014
- What Does History Teach Us in Achieving UPE and UPC for Education for All 2015?
- Wealth Still Matters: A Study of Wealth Differentials in Primary School Attendance from 1990-2006 in Developing Countries
- Global Educational Trends
- How (Well) is Education Measured in Household Surveys?
- Sub-national Disparities in Learning
- Pupil Performance and Age: A Study of Promotion, Repetition and Dropout Rates Among Pupils in Four Age Groups in 35 Countries
- Opportunity to Learn: A high impact strategy for improving educational outcomes in developing countries
- Oportunidad para Aprender: Una estrategia de gran impacto para mejorar los resultados educativos en los paÃses en desarrollo
- Public Expenditure Tracking in Education
- EQUIP Associate Awards Project Analyses, 2003-2009
- School Report Cards: Some Recent Experiences
- EQUIP Associate Awards Project Analyses, 2003-2005
Search for data related to this Country by selecting the dimensions that you want to include in your results. The selection of the years will trigger a process to show you the number of results on your search according to the selected criteria. Switch to the Advanced Search if you want to include more dimensions in your search criteria.Switch to Advanced Search