You are here
Sudan - Pre-Secession
In 2011, Sudan was formally divided when South Sudan seceded to form a new country. The portion of the country that did not secede retained the name Sudan. In the EPDC database, the country name ?Sudan ? Pre-secession? is used for education indicators reported to be representative of the full geographic area of pre-secession Sudan (i.e. Sudan and South Sudan combined). For Indicators representative of the geographic areas of the post-secession countries (many of which date prior to 2011), please search under ?Sudan ? Post-secession? and ?South Sudan.?
Pre-secession Sudan has a 8-3 formal education structure that has been in place since 1992. Basic education in Sudan, has an official entry age of six and a duration of eight grades. Secondary school consists of grades 9 ? 11. In principle, basic education school is free and compulsory. Students sit for the Basic education certificate at the end of grade 8, and the Sudan School Certificate (SSC) examination at the end of grade 11.The official academic year lasts 210 working days and is divided into two semesters. (UNESCO IBE, World Data on Education. Revised 5/2012).
Among other data sources, unique EPDC data collections for Pre-secession Sudan indicators derived from UIS data, MICS (2006), and IPUMS (2008).
For an overview of current education conditions in Sudan, please view our education profiles.
Last updated: 3/2014
- Estimating the Costs of Achieving Education for All in Low-Income Countries
- Universal Basic Education: A Progress-based Path to 2025
- The Extent and Impact of Non-formal Education in 28 Developing Countries
- How do violent conflicts affect school enrolment?: Analysis of Sub-National Evidence from 19 Countries
- Seeing the reconstruction of primary education in Southern Sudan through EMIS 2006-2009
- Out of School Children: Data Challenges in Measuring Access to Education
Search for data related to this Country by selecting the dimensions that you want to include in your results. The selection of the years will trigger a process to show you the number of results on your search according to the selected criteria. Switch to the Advanced Search if you want to include more dimensions in your search criteria.Switch to Advanced Search