You are here
Vietnam has a 5-4-3 formal education structure. Primary school has an official entry age of six and a duration of five grades. Secondary school is divided into two cycles: lower secondary consists of grades 6 - 9, and upper secondary consists of grades 10 - 12. In principle, school is free and primary school is compulsory. Students sit for the Certificate for Primary Education at the end of grade 5, and a certificate from the local bureau of education and Training at the end of grade 9.The academic year is divided into semesters and lasts about 35 working weeks. (UNESCO IBE, World Data on Education. Revised 4/2011).
Among other data sources, unique EPDC data collections for Vietnam include administrative data from General Statistics Office (2003 - 2012), household survey data from DHS (2002, 2005), LSS (2004), MICS (2000, 2006), and indicators derived from UIS data.
For an overview of current education conditions in Vietnam, please view our education profiles.
Last updated: 9/2012
- Educational Inequality within Countries: Who are the Out of School Children?
- Estimating the Costs of Achieving Education for All in Low-Income Countries
- What Does History Teach Us in Achieving UPE and UPC for Education for All 2015?
- Wealth Still Matters: A Study of Wealth Differentials in Primary School Attendance from 1990-2006 in Developing Countries
- Universal Basic Education: A Progress-based Path to 2025
- Global Educational Trends
- The Extent and Impact of Non-formal Education in 28 Developing Countries
- How (Well) is Education Measured in Household Surveys?
- School Attendance and Enrolment - Global trends and projections
- Regional Poverty Rates and School Attendance Differentials
Search for data related to this Country by selecting the dimensions that you want to include in your results. The selection of the years will trigger a process to show you the number of results on your search according to the selected criteria. Switch to the Advanced Search if you want to include more dimensions in your search criteria.Switch to Advanced Search